THIS WEEK IN OUTSIDER ART
FEATURED ARTIST OF THE WEEK
Meet Hares Hoard, a new creative project exploring the rich visual and historical culture of Great Briton (Ancient Albion). Learn more and purchase these beautiful medieval scarves at https://hareshoard.bigcartel.com/
“Hares Hoard was set out to capture the essence of football scarves and transplant it into history. They often associate themselves with historical and mythical figures to attempt salvaging some personal, family or geographically-based identity. This quest for finding identity in heritage has been a positive journey for many but has led people and societies to conjure up dangerous beliefs and commit unforgivable atrocities.
Hares Hoard has always intended to make beautiful scarves, but the project was founded on playing with the meaning in these popular garments and the associations of history and myth.”
Football scarves have always been about tribalism for their wearers, this may emerge in the form of an allegiance to a team, player or local region. Seeing football icons such as Eric Cantona or David Beckham draped over the shoulders of fans like a Bishop’s stock, has imbued these garments with an almost religious power. Furthermore, newer generations of fans, too young to watch the legends of the 50s, 60s, and 70s will still immortalise older players, which then forms part of a collective imaginary similar to the legends of Arthur and Merlin.Hares Hoard
- LatchKey Gallery: There is no God and we are his prophets: Esteban Whiteside and John Brendan Guinan // Mar 01 – Apr 23
- Andrew Edlin Gallery: Beverly Buchanan: Northern Walls and Southern Yards // Mar 25 – May 13
- Cavin-Morris Gallery: Edgewalkers: Sacred And Profane // Apr 06 – May 27
- Carl Hammer Gallery: Fred Stonehouse: Emblems // Mar 10 – Apr 29
- Hanna Pietri Gallery presents Maurice Sullins // Online
- Intuit Art Center: Hand Drawn Circle: Arts of Life Studio Past and Present // Mar 23 – May 21
- Museum of International Folk Art: Yōkai: Ghosts & Demons of Japan + Fashioning Identities: A Companion to Dressing with Purpose and more! // Now Open
- SAGE Studio: Label Makers
- Webb Gallery Waxahachie: Margaret Sullivan Jewelry & Paintings by Teresa Watson + Webb’s Fair & Square in Fort Davis: Garden Party // Paintings & Cutouts by Jackie Dunn Smith + Decanters by Adam Shrewsbury
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center: Creative! Growth! // May 21 – May 19
- Milwaukee Art Museum: Playing Favorites: Spotlight on the Petullo Collection // Until Apr 23
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- Introducing The FolkArtwork Collective
- Welcome to the FolkArtwork Collective Jordan Sullivan!
- The Greatest Sculptures by James “Son Ford” Thomas
- New Works By Esteban Whiteside in the FolkArtwork Collective Shop!
- Outsider Art Fair 2023: All The Highlights, Photos + Videos and More!
- New Works By Noel Hatifled in the FolkArtwork Collective Shop!
- Original Artwork For Sale: Sarah Lee
- WATCH: THE ANGEL THAT STANDS BY ME: Minnie Evans’ Paintings
- The Greatest List of All-Time for Must-Watch Documentaries on Outsider Artists
- Art Environments in the Midwest: Photos, Videos, Info, and more!
- Looking for a good book on Outsider Art? Look no further!
- Change Makers: Stories that Inspire: Life & Work with Adam Oestreich
FROM THE COLLECTIVE
And check out original artwork for sale at the FolkArtwork Collective
Thank you <3