THIS WEEK IN OUTSIDER ART
“Things are beautiful if you love them.” — Jean Anouilh
ART ENVIRONMENT OF THE WEEK
JOHN CHRISTENSEN Itasca Rock Garden (Christensen Rock Garden) (c. 1925-1938)
Located in small-town Albert Lea, Minnesota, the Itasca Rock Garden — it sits on the former Itasca Village that graced the land from 1855-1890 — or Christensen Rock Garden if you prefer — it was built by John Christensen — is another unique art environment of yesteryear.
“I knew I was alone and not accomplishing anything outside in the world, so I’ll accomplish it here, so it was sort of a lifesaver … Gee, we’re lucky to have something to do.”William Hall
Please enjoy these untitled works done by Nakhoda Abdalrasool Ghaibi, acrylic paint on canvas and paper, courtesy and many thanks to Morteza Zahedi of Gallery Outsiderinn.
- Museum of International Folk Art: Yōkai: Ghosts & Demons of Japan + Fashioning Identities: A Companion to Dressing with Purpose and more! // Now Open
- SAGE Studio: Be Kind Rewind // Opening Jun 03
- Webb Gallery Waxahachie: RV LIVIN’ + Webb’s Fair & Square in Fort Davis: Turquoise Show (Memorial Day Weekend)
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- Welcome to the FolkArtwork Collective Reneesha Mccoy
- Welcome to the FolkArtwork Collective Jordan Sullivan!
- Must-see Sculptures by James “Son Ford” Thomas
- New Works By Esteban Whiteside in the FolkArtwork Collective Shop!
- Outsider Art Fair 2023: All The Highlights, Photos + Videos and More!
- WATCH: THE ANGEL THAT STANDS BY ME: Minnie Evans’ Paintings
- The Greatest List of All-Time for Must-Watch Documentaries on Outsider Artists
- Art Environments in the Midwest: Photos, Videos, Info, and more!
- Looking for a good book on Outsider Art? Look no further!
- Change Makers: Stories that Inspire: Life & Work with Adam Oestreich
- Introducing The FolkArtwork Collective
FROM THE COLLECTIVE
NOEL HATFIELD Girl with Impasto Flowers (2021) // Oil Painting on Dibond Aluminum with Gamvar Gloss Varnish — available for purchase via the artist on the #FolkArtwork shop ✌️
And check out original artwork for sale at the FolkArtwork Collective
Thank you <3