THIS WEEK IN OUTSIDER ART
The fact that Guantanamo Bay is still operational, and as of this writing there are roughly 35 prisoners still being held there largely charged with no crimes is an abomination. It is no secret that this experiment is a failed one and one of the most troubling human rights violations of the modern era.
That makes the news, per the brilliant Art Crime Professor and researcher Erin Thompson, that one of the prisoners held for many years will be returning home so heartening.
All things considered, there has been tremendous amounts of art coming from Guantanamo Bay and it can now be helpful to these humans in many ways. Ahmed (Badr) Rabbani, who is finally back in Pakistan, free and at home after being held without charges at Guantanamo Bay for many years was fortunate enough to have art while in prison.
For those held at Guantanamo and have been lucky enough to be released, it will be a long and tough road to have anything close to a normal life. In efforts, Rabbani will be attempting to sell some artwork created while held in captivity — if you are interested in purchasing any works and helping, you can email email@example.com
Here’s to hoping all the best for Rabbani and the rest being held at Guantanamo to be released soon.
- LatchKey Gallery: There is no God and we are his prophets: Esteban Whiteside and John Brendan Guinan // Mar 01 – Apr 23
- The Found Object Show: Art Without Intent // Mar 24 – Mar 26
- Ricco/Maresca Gallery: Artists of Gugging // Mar 15 – Apr 02 (Online Exhibit)
- Hanna Pietri Gallery presents Maurice Sullins // Online
- Intuit Art Center: Hand Drawn Circle: Arts of Life Studio Past and Present // Mar 23 – May 21
- VIELMETTER: Esther Pearl Watson: A Very Luminous Vision // Mar 11 – Apr 22
- SHRINE LA: Billy White: Picnic // Apr 01 – May 13
- Museum of International Folk Art: Yōkai: Ghosts & Demons of Japan + Fashioning Identities: A Companion to Dressing with Purpose and more! // Now Open
- SAGE Studio: By Design // Opening Feb 04
- Webb Gallery Waxahachie: Margaret Sullivan Jewelry & Paintings by Teresa Watson + Webb’s Fair & Square in Fort Davis: Garden Party // Paintings & Cutouts by Jackie Dunn Smith + Decanters by Adam Shrewsbury
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center: Creative! Growth! // May 21 – May 19
- Milwaukee Art Museum: Playing Favorites: Spotlight on the Petullo Collection // Oct 08 – Apr 02
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- Introducing The FolkArtwork Collective
- New Works By Esteban Whiteside in the FolkArtwork Collective Shop!
- Outsider Art Fair 2023: All The Highlights, Photos + Videos and More!
- New Works By Noel Hatifled in the FolkArtwork Collective Shop!
- Original Artwork For Sale: Sarah Lee
- WATCH: THE ANGEL THAT STANDS BY ME: Minnie Evans’ Paintings
- The Greatest List of All-Time for Must-Watch Documentaries on Outsider Artists
- Art Environments in the Midwest: Photos, Videos, Info, and more!
- Looking for a good book on Outsider Art? Look no further!
- Change Makers: Stories that Inspire: Life & Work with Adam Oestreich
FROM THE COLLECTIVE
And check out original artwork for sale at the FolkArtwork Collective
Thank you <3