THIS WEEK IN OUTSIDER ART
Who did David Bowie often look to for inspiration? Look no further than legendary and brilliant outsider artist Daniel Johnston. Per Tom Taylor at Far Out Magazine, one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century drew inspiration from the late great musician and visual artist from Austin, Texas.
David Bowie once dubbed Johnston a “one-man Beach Boys … also another lad who had a lot of problems with thinking.” Even after he became a superstar, Bowie looked for new ways to push himself or get out of a stumbling block, and in 2005, Bowie provided the following tagline for the documentary film The Devil and Daniel Johnston: “Daniel Johnston reminds me of aspects that made me love art in the first place.”
Other artists who drew inspiration from Daniel Johnston and or covered his songs include Kurt Cobain, Beck, Wilco, Death Cab for Cutie, The Flaming Lips, Elizabeth Moen, and beabadoobee, among others.
“Another lad who had a lot of problems with thinking … he was in different institutions and hospitals all his life and would make funny little cassettes of all his songs, on an out-of-tune piano or guitar: beautiful, poignant, sad little pieces.”David Bowie
- Ricco/Maresca Gallery: UN/RELATED: Christine Hughes, Kate Berry Brown, Lisa Ivory // Dec 08 – Feb 18
- SHRINE NYC: Cécile Lobert: Unspoken // Jan 06 – Feb 18
- Art Against The Odds: Wisconsin Prison Art Exhibition at Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design // Jan 19 – Mar 11
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center: Creative! Growth! // May 21 – May 19
- Milwaukee Art Museum: Playing Favorites: Spotlight on the Petullo Collection // Oct 08 – Apr 02
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- Introducing The FolkArtwork Collective
- David Bowie Drew Inspiration From Legendary Outsider Artist Daniel Johnston
- Jane Fonda, Collector of Outsider Art, Auctioning 14 Works at Christie’s
- The Best in Outsider Art from 2022
- The Greatest List of All-Time for Must-Watch Documentaries on Outsider Artists
- Art Environments in the Midwest: Photos, Videos, Info, and more!
- Looking for a good book on Outsider Art? Look no further!
- Change Makers: Stories that Inspire: Life & Work with Adam Oestreich
FROM THE COLLECTIVE
And check out original artwork for sale at the FolkArtwork Collective
Thank you <3