THIS WEEK IN OUTSIDER ART
Ever since my friend and owner of Gallery OutsiderInn in Tehran Morteza Zahedi sent me a photo of his latest book, I have been dreaming of the day to get my hands on it. Turns out, finding a copy of “Iranian Art Brut: Outsider Art from Persia” isn’t very easy. Luckily, through the power of persistence and this little old internet of ours, you can’t hold this beautiful book, but you can see all the fantastic outsider art in PDF form on folkartwork.art now!
Check out the ninety pages put together by Zahedi and French author Jean-Marc Decrop with dozens of artwork by Iranian artists such as Davood Koochaki, Madmoodkhan, Jamshid Aminfar, and more.
Concerning the works published in this book, it should be noticed that the works of these individuals are addressed, in artistic trends, as “art brut” or “self-taught.” Much like their ancestors in the present age, these artists are engaged in artistic creation—on the fringes. Their works depend solely on pure human resources. Their outputs are strangely tied to their natural lives. The presentation of these works is underpinned by their originality, innovation, and romantic goals. The creators of this form of artistic expression can be considered an epitome of disregard for the social and economic considerations “in the art world”: they are able to express their ideas in their own language.Morteza Zahedi
- American Folk Art Museum: Morris Hirshfield Rediscovered // Sept 23 – Jan 29
- Cavin-Morris Gallery: Swallowing The Ocean, Internalizing The Sea: New Paintings By Izabella Ortiz // Nov 10 – Jan 28
- Ricco/Maresca Gallery: UN/RELATED: Christine Hughes, Kate Berry Brown, Lisa Ivory // Dec 08 – Feb 18
- Andrew Edlin Gallery: Secret Chord: An Ode to Montreal // Dec 10 – Jan 28
- SHRINE NYC: Cécile Lobert: Unspoken // Jan 06 – Feb 18
- Intuit Art Center: Creative Growth Art Center: Selections from the Collection // Dec 09 – Jan 29
- Hanna Pietri Gallery presents Maurice Sullins // Online
- Project Onward: The “Art on Cardboard” Show! // In-Person & Online
- Indigo Arts Gallery: Mithila: Evolution of a Women’s Art in India and Nepal // Sept 29 – Jan 25
- Fleisher/Ollman Gallery: Jesse Harrod: Tough Nut // Jan 19 – Mar 11
- Webb Gallery Waxahachie: Nobody’s Ark (Pt. 1) with Panacea Theriac // Nov 06 – Jan 22
- Garden Party: Paintings & Cut-Outs by Jackie Dunn Smith and Decanters by Adam Shrewsbury at Webb’s Fair & Square in Fort Davis
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center: Creative! Growth! // May 21 – May 19
- Milwaukee Art Museum: Playing Favorites: Spotlight on the Petullo Collection // Oct 08 – Apr 02
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- Jane Fonda, Collector of Outsider Art, Auctioning 14 Works at Christie’s
- The Best in Outsider Art from 2022
- Merry Folk Artworkmas: 21 Christmas Works from Outsider Artists
- Dickeyville Grotto: Art Environment Tour #8 — Photos and Videos!
- The Greatest List of All-Time for Must-Watch Documentaries on Outsider Artists
- Highlights from the Pettulo Collection at the Milwaukee Art Museum
- Art Environments in the Midwest: Photos, Videos, Info, and more!
- Looking for a good book on Outsider Art? Look no further!
- Change Makers: Stories that Inspire: Life & Work with Adam Oestreich
And check out original artwork for sale at the FolkArtwork Collective
Thank you <3