THIS WEEK IN OUTSIDER ART
FEATURED ART OF THE WEEK
Gifts are great! As the old saying goes, it’s better to give than to receive! Unless you’re receiving a masterpiece of an artwork made by the one and only Bill Traylor.
According to The Art Newspaper, the American Folk Art Museum in New York City is adding a surprising fourth Bill Traylor to it’s permanent collection thanks to actress and co-founder of Circle Repertory Company.
The painting, executed in graphite and poster paint on cardboard, is officially dated to between 1939 and 1942. As is typical of Traylor’s work, it is untitled, though the descriptive subtitle added by a dealer, “Blue Construction, Figures, and Bottles; or Two Men Reaching for Bottles”, has been retained. It has several features that are quintessential of the artist’s practice, foremost among them the dominant shade of cerulean blue that was a trademark of the artist’s iconography.The Art Newspaper
“When Tanya Berezin offered it to the museum, I could not believe it was true,” says Valérie Rousseau, AFAM’s senior curator of self-taught art and art brut.
- LatchKey Gallery: There is no God and we are his prophets: Esteban Whiteside and John Brendan Guinan // Mar 01 – Apr 23
- The Found Object Show: Art Without Intent // Mar 24 – Mar 26
- Cavin-Morris Gallery: The Go-betweens: New Work by Christine Sefolosha, and Sylvain and Ghyslaine Staëlens // Feb 02 – Apr 01
- VIELMETTER: Esther Pearl Watson: A Very Luminous Vision // Mar 11 – Apr 22
- Thinkspace Gallery: b. Robert Moore: Out the Mud: A Black American Rite of Passage // Mar 04 – Mar 25
- Museum of International Folk Art: Yōkai: Ghosts & Demons of Japan + Fashioning Identities: A Companion to Dressing with Purpose and more! // Now Open
- SAGE Studio: By Design // Opening Feb 04
- Webb Gallery Waxahachie: Margaret Sullivan Jewelry & Paintings by Teresa Watson + Webb’s Fair & Square in Fort Davis: Garden Party // Paintings & Cutouts by Jackie Dunn Smith + Decanters by Adam Shrewsbury
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center: Creative! Growth! // May 21 – May 19
- Milwaukee Art Museum: Playing Favorites: Spotlight on the Petullo Collection // Oct 08 – Apr 02
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- Introducing The FolkArtwork Collective
- Outsider Art Fair 2023: All The Highlights, Photos + Videos and More!
- Not at the Outsider Art Fair? No Problem! 5 Other Must-See Shows Happening Now
- The Pardee Collection Returns to the Outsider Art Fair
- New Works By Noel Hatifled in the FolkArtwork Collective Shop!
- Original Artwork For Sale: Sarah Lee
- WATCH: THE ANGEL THAT STANDS BY ME: Minnie Evans’ Paintings
- David Bowie Drew Inspiration From Legendary Outsider Artist Daniel Johnston
- The Greatest List of All-Time for Must-Watch Documentaries on Outsider Artists
- Art Environments in the Midwest: Photos, Videos, Info, and more!
- Looking for a good book on Outsider Art? Look no further!
- Change Makers: Stories that Inspire: Life & Work with Adam Oestreich
FROM THE COLLECTIVE
And check out original artwork for sale at the FolkArtwork Collective
Thank you <3